- Have students watch the "Who's Your Vavo?" Video
- After reading the graphic novel, have students think of which relative they would like to interview and have them brainstorm questions they would like to ask them about their heritage
- Students are to complete their interview with the relative and take reference photos.
- Once they have decided on which photo they would like to sketch, they should print the photo on 8.5x11 paper
- Using a 2B pencil, student will then create an accurate line drawing of their relative (HINT: have students draw the image upside down to focus on the accuracy of the lines)
- Students will then use value to give the line drawing form, varying pencil types to create a range of values
- An accurate line drawing that is then shaded of a relative
- A thorough artist statement that demonstrates thought about their artistic process.